Home » Chances of Reoccurrence of Psychosis

Chances of Reoccurrence of Psychosis

Please help me answer this question. I am currently on antipsychotics Oleanz plus(olanzapine) and Dicorate, to treat a psychotic break with delusions resulting from cannabis abuse. It isn’t my first break, as I have had 3 relapses where I have returned to using. My question is this: due to the negative side effects of the drugs I’m on, and the side effects of antipsychotics in general, I want to stop taking the antipsychotic. I have done so in the past and was fine for 3 months after having taken the meds for only 3 months before that, and was fine until I relapsed and started using again. I am about to discuss the issue with my psychiatrist, but I wanted to know what the chance of another psychotic break or something like that occurring is? I am focused on staying clean this time, so assuming I do not relapse that is.

Chances of Reoccurrence of Psychosis

A.

Generally speaking, antipsychotic medication does prevent relapse. If you were to stop taking your medication, it’s likely that a relapse would occur.

If you were to stop taking your antipsychotic medication abruptly, without the assistance of your psychiatrist, it would significantly increases the possibility of a relapse.

If you plan to stop taking your antipsychotic medication, then you should do so with the assistance of your psychiatrist. Your doctor can slowly and safely reduce your medication and that would be your best chance at preventing a relapse.

I would recommend discussing these issues with your psychiatrist. He or she would be in the best position to help you. Your doctor might know of a better medication for you that is more tolerable. It is certainly worth exploring. Please take care.

Chances of Reoccurrence of Psychosis