Home » Ask the Therapist » Relationships with Borderline Personality Disorder

Relationships with Borderline Personality Disorder

Yesterday, I was diagnosed with Borderline Personality Disorder. My partner is uncertain if he wishes to remain in our relationship. We live together, and I’m uncertain how to interact with him through this. Our pattern has been for me to bargain with my behavior through being overly giving in such times. How or should I distance myself emotionally, keep safe boundaries while I wait for him to decide? I don’t begin therapy until week after next and the panic with this latest admission of his is overwhelming. Much appreciation for feedback.

A.

Thank you for writing us here. I appreciate your sensitivity to your partner’s needs, and yours. I would suggest both you and your partner read a classic in the field, Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder.

I would also then ask the therapist that you have an appointment to see if you and your boyfriend can come in together for the first appointment. This way the therapist can give you both some feedback on what comes next.