Home » Parenting » Parents Won’t Take Me to Get Help

Parents Won’t Take Me to Get Help

So, I’m 15 and in my own opinion I think I’ve been depressed for a very long time, a few years. I’m always sad and irritable. I remember having moments of complete rage, but also moments where I feel depressed. I really want someone to help me, or get treatment or something. My parents think that if I were to be prescribed medicine that I wouldn’t be myself, and that I will get over it. I’m only 15 and I have no source of income so it’d be impossible for me to seek help on my own. It further upsets me that no one will try and help me and that I can’t do anything to help myself. I don’t want to have to wait years before I can even think about getting it myself.

Parents Won’t Take Me to Get Help

A.

A: I’m sorry that you are feeling depressed and that your parents have not supported your desire to get professional help. Medication is not the only way of treating psychological problems. Many times, participating in therapy is all that is needed to make significant and lasting changes in mood and behavior. I’m including a link from a prior similar post with some suggestions that I hope will help: “I Want to Tell My Parents about Depression but Mother Thinks It’s Foolish.”

Parents Won’t Take Me to Get Help