Home » Ask the Therapist » Something Is Wrong

Something Is Wrong

From Australia: I’m 15 and I’m too scared to go to a doctor just in case its hormones or I’m just being a drama queen but something’s different. I am usually an extremely outgoing person that’s always grinning like an idiot and loving to be around people but for the past few weeks its different. I’ve been snappish, irritant and the only thing I want to do is go home and sit in a dark room. Just sit. Not listen to music or go play a game, just sit and stare out of the window. Some of my friends have said things that while may bother me sometime, wouldn’t normally warrant a reaction. But I’ve told a few friends to Fuck off or that I hate them, which I don’t! I’m also sad so often of the time and I feel like nobody wants me around and that I’m worthless. My self esteem is literally on the floor.

Also a few months ago I quit taekwondo (which I’ve done for seven years) and soccer (which I did for about two – three years), both of which I really loved. I felt like I needed to include that. Oh and I’ve gained 6kgs in the past few months!

I also don’t sleep very well and am pretty much always tired but that’s always happened.

I can’t concentrate in class (my maths grade is going down the drain) though I haven’t been able to for a while.

And lastly I want to kill myself. I don’t want to do it because I can’t deal or anything, I just don’t see the point. Like why keep going? I guess I just want everything to stop.

Sorry if this turns out its just hormones…

Something Is Wrong

A.

So what if it is hormones? You are suffering and you need treatment. Please do go see your doctor for a complete physical check up to make sure you are physically okay. It might be hormones that are driving your mood shift but it also could be a vitamin deficiency or something else. You owe it to yourself to check it out.

If there is nothing medically wrong, then it’s time to see a mental health counselor for an evaluation.

Please follow up. The symptoms you are reporting are your body’s way of telling you that you need to pay attention to something.

Something Is Wrong