Home » ADHD » I Think I Have ADD

I Think I Have ADD

I’m really forgetful and absent minded and as a writer I can never bring myself to finish my own projects because I get bored and try to start a new one. At school I’m terrible at math because the teacher will explain the formulas to me over and over again but I never understand it and it’s so much of a hassle I just tend to give up. I think compulsively and I feel like I can never shut my brain up and it’s like there’s a slimy film between me and the outside world and my senses and spatial awareness are kind of dulled. I also sometimes zone out mid conversation with people and being bored is probably one of the things I hate the most but people tell me I only forget or ignore important things because I don’t like or care about them but I work very diligently on things I like. In elementary school my teachers tried to diagnose me with ADD before but they also used sloppy excuses to diagnose me with Asperger syndrome too, so my parents are very wary of psychiatrists and think they will give me dangerous drugs to make money. Do i have ADD or am I just kind of lazy? If I have ADD what can I do to help myself without drugs or scaring the crap out of my parents?

I Think I Have ADD

A.

I really like your question and I’m sorry that you were not treated well by mental health professionals. It is often hard to tell what a collection of symptoms can mean. The best way to sort through all of this is to have a school psychologist or a clinical psychologist give you a battery of tests. The tests tell the tale of the diagnosis — and of your strengths. Talk to your parents about finding out what you are good at — as well as what you may need help in. That should alleviate their fears. I would recommend taking a character strength youth survey here (for free) that will help identify things you are good at.

I Think I Have ADD