Home » Disorders » Eating Disorders » I Think I Have a Problem with Eating

I Think I Have a Problem with Eating

So in the last year I have lost +50 pounds. I did it the healthy way. Now in the last few months I have become obsessed, I am constantly thinking about food finding out what I will eat planning the calories for the day. I try to make myself eat more calories because I know I’m not eating enough (usually less than 700) I can’t stand eating with people because I feel like they will make me eat more so I always make excuses to not go. I get major anxiety when I do eat, because I feel guilty and it’s like there’s a voice in my head telling me I will get fat if i continue eating and once I eat a few bites of something I know I shouldn’t have I will end up eating anything in sight and I want to puke, but I never have. I never go anywhere because I have a schedule for everything and certain times where I eat and exercise, although I think this is because of my OCD. I workout everyday and then I will ride 2-3 horses a day. I can’t stand the thought of being fat again especially because I know how hard it was for my old horse to carry me around when I was overweight and every time I reach a goal weight I set another that’s less. People tell me I’m thin, but all I see is fat. I know this is bad and I have tried to stop these behaviors but thoughts saying I’m fat,obese, ugly keep coming back. It’s driving me crazy its like there are two people bickering in my head constantly over what I should do and I can’t decide which one is right. I am always cold, dizzy, and tired/fatigued. I have wanted to tell someone about this, but then they might think I just want attention or think I’m weird. Currently I’m 5’6 or 5’7 and 120 lbs (age 15, from US).

I Think I Have a Problem with Eating

A.

Thank you for writing in with your question. If you were to look up the Body Mass Index (BMI) for your height and weight it would say that you are in the healthy range, but losing 50 pounds in one year at your age is too much for your body and mind to handle. It sounds like you could be developing an eating disorder and/or body dysmorphic disorder so I feel that it’s important for you to get some professional help now before it gets out of hand. You are thinking too much about food and having negative emotions, such as guilt, attached to eating. That is not a good sign.

You should be able to enjoy the weight loss and be happy with your life and your body, but it sounds like the negative thoughts and feelings have taken over. Furthermore, the fact that you are also having physical symptoms such as dizziness and fatigue is another sign that you should speak to your parents and your doctor. If you aren’t sure what to say you could print off your letter and my response suggesting that you get some help. Don’t worry about what people think of you, it is your health and your future at stake. You deserve to be happy.

I Think I Have a Problem with Eating