Home » Parenting » Mother–In-Law has Possible Personality Disorder

Mother–In-Law has Possible Personality Disorder

My husband and I got married. Her behavior and the way she is forced me to stay in my closet sized room while I was living there and it triggered my first experience with depression. Her behavior and the fact that she caused me to sink into depression has left me to highly resent her, I would actually say hate. I have went to group counseling with her and it was suggested that she has a personality disorder and that she needed to come back for her own private sessions. I’m at the end of my rope with her. She never went back to counseling. But I want to give her an ultimatum, to either go get help and change your behavior or stay away from me and my children. Is that wrong? The rest of the family ignores her and tells me that she is just being who she is and to ignore her, but I am sick of it and I want her held accountable for her actions. She is constantly disrespecting me and trying to force my husband to do what she wants.

A.

Trying to change someone with a personality disorder is not likely to work. If everyone else around you has suggested that she needs to be ignored — follow their advice. You are not likely to be successful when you try to change someone who has exhibited such behavior. But you can change yourself. I would highly recommend you and your husband talk about strategies for coping. This is not your fight alone. It is both yours and his. Discussing the variety of options for coping with your mother-in-law would be important for you and your husband to discuss. If you don’t make progress you may want to try couples counseling. The find help tab at the top of the page can help you find someone in your area.