Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Not Sure What’s Wrong with Me

I’m Not Sure What’s Wrong with Me

Hi, I’m a 28 year old female. For the past year and a half I’ve been getting worse my fiance doesn’t want to listen to me. Growing up I was a happy loving kid. Got along with everyone, my senior year I lost my best friend, I almost didn’t graduate I couldn’t pay attention in class I just didn’t want to do nothing it took me about 3 years to finally pull myself together. I met my fiance and he showed me life again. I have been great up until a year and a half ago. I can’t go out to public places I fear everyone is looking and laughing at me because I’m ugly or fat (I’m not ugly or fat) my fiance has to do everything (go grocery shopping take the kids to school,take them to doctor appointments.) I have no friends cause I cut them from my life I don’t talk to my family no more. I literally just stay in the house all day. I don’t want to feel like this I have tried going out with my family but I freak out I start breathing heavy my heart races my hands get sweaty, I start crying and I just want to get home. If I do go out to the store I walk with my head down and I try not to make eye contact with no one. I get in and get out. I’m tired of feeling this was it’s literally taking over my life and my family’s life. I can’t even take my children outside or to the park. I feel like a crappy mother and wife. Please help me.

I’m Not Sure What’s Wrong with Me

A.

I’m so glad you wrote. You — and your children and your fiance — are missing out on some of the best years of your life. I can’t make a diagnosis on the basis of a letter, but I can tell you that what you are reporting is consistent with a social anxiety disorder.

You really aren’t stuck with feeling this way. Please contact a mental health professional and make an appointment. With a combination of some medication and some good talk therapy, you can reclaim your best self. You all deserve that.

I’m Not Sure What’s Wrong with Me