Home » What’s the Disorder that I Have?

What’s the Disorder that I Have?

I just discovered recently from my teachers and supervisors that I have been walking and sleeping in the corridors of the school. They have that recorded in their security cameras and I have no memory at all about even leaving my classroom! I’m afraid it could be split personality disorder.

What’s the Disorder that I Have?

A.

Contrary to popular belief, there is no such thing as a “split personality disorder.” That expression may mean that an individual is engaging in or thinking about things in a manner that seems foreign to them.

You may be experiencing a sleep disorder. Sleepwalking is a behavioral disorder that occurs during deep sleep and results in individuals walking and performing other tasks while asleep. Approximately 1 to 15% of persons, engage in sleepwalking. It affects children at a higher rate than adults and it tends to run in families.

My recommendation is to speak to your primary care physician about undergoing a sleep study. This will help to determine if a sleep disorder is present. There are no specific treatments for sleepwalking, but some antidepressant medications have been helpful in reducing the incidence of sleepwalking episodes. Sometimes sleepwalking decreases overtime without treatment, especially among children and young adults. Please take care.

What’s the Disorder that I Have?