Home » Is this Dissociative Identity Disorder?

Is this Dissociative Identity Disorder?

I took your sanity test and got a 50 in dissociation, 50 in PSTD, 69 in depression, and 70 in anxietyI listed these results specifically because I know that these are symptoms of DID. Now, I am very forgetful, short term and long term when it comes to events, not with information though. That I feel others hold for me and give it to me when needed. I experience visual and auditory hallucinations, both internal and external. I also experience depersonalization and derealization, meaning that I feel that the world around me is not real. I have many out-of-body experiences and trances and moments where I feel I’m watching myself from afar. I feel that I have a minimal awareness of me shifting personality states in different situations.  For example, a more social personality for communicating, a more confident one for presenting, and so on. I also have a lot of identity confusion where I feel like a boy some days and a girl others. I call myself transgender, but that does not seem to fit. The voices I hear are always either commenting or conversing and I am able to speak back. I also feel like my thoughts, feelings, behaviors are not always my own. (age 15, from US)

Is this Dissociative Identity Disorder?

A.

A: The symptoms you list here could certainly be part of a Dissociative Disorder, but some of them could also be related to a psychotic disorder such as Schizophrenia. The only way to know for certain is to see a trained mental health professional for a diagnostic assessment.

Regardless of the diagnosis, these symptoms are severe enough that you should be seeking help for them anyway. Speak to your parents or school counselor about getting linked with a therapist as soon as possible. However, it may be crucial to find someone who is trained in treating trauma and dissociation because not all therapists are well-versed at it. Being 15 years old can be difficult enough these days and dealing with all these issues while you are figuring out who you are is too much for you to handle alone. I hope you get help soon.

Is this Dissociative Identity Disorder?