Home » I Was Molested by My Older Brother

I Was Molested by My Older Brother

From the U.S.: I’m currently considering seeing a counselor but am somewhat discouraged because I’m not sure if it will actually help. I was molested by my older brother when I was in, I believe, the first grade. I’ve only recently started talking to close friends about it and I’ve realized it’s an issue. I’ve lived with my brother the majority of my life and a couple years ago I finally confronted him about it, but not directly. It gave me no peace. I’m just looking for a little bit of professional advice.
Thanks,

I Was Molested by My Older Brother

A.

Sometimes when we ask a question, we already know the answer. I hope you will listen to your own wise self. You know this is an issue. It gave you “no peace.”

You don’t really need my advice but since you asked, I’ll tell you what you are already telling yourself: Yes, you should contact a counselor. The counselor will help you sort through whether you have already adequately processed the abuse or if it is affecting your current ability to be intimate and sexual. You may also want to talk about how it has affected your relationship with your brother and the rest of the family. You and the counselor will then decide if you need treatment and what it should involve.

I Was Molested by My Older Brother