Home » Scared to Get Help

Scared to Get Help

I think I have depression. I’ve done all the online tests and although they say not to use them as a diagnostic tool, all of them say I have moderate to severe depression. I see absolutely no point in life, I honestly couldn’t care less if I died tomorrow. My life is worth nothing and I find it unfair that I have to live in it. I feel empty and hollowed out inside but I act normally in front of other people so they won’t suspect anything. I have difficulty remembering everything. I’m always misplacing things or forgetting to do things I do daily. I have absolutely no attention span, I can’t focus on anything and I can’t make any decisions. I’ve become seriously indecisive and can spend an hour just picking shampoo.

I want to tell my parents so I can get help, but I can’t. I’ve never talked about my feelings in front of them, not even when I was a little kid. I have no idea how they’d respond and I don’t want to find out. I’m wondering if there’s some way I can get diagnosed without them knowing. And if that’s not possible, how I should tell them?

Scared to Get Help

A.

Thank you for writing us. Each of the symptoms you’ve identified does, indeed, go along with being depressed. I admire your courage for taking the quizzes and sending in the letter.

Since you are 16, I would highly recommend that you talk to your school’s guidance counselor. The counselors for schools are very well-trained in identifying and helping to find ways to treat the symptoms you have.

You’re not alone and there are a wide range of treatment options. Here is a link to a recent article I’ve written about some new treatments for depression. Talking to your counselor is the fastest way to get feedback. He or she will help you get what you need.

Scared to Get Help