Home » Name Change as Emotional Healing

Name Change as Emotional Healing

From the U.S.: My friend suffered from a lot of emotional and sexual abuse as a child. As part of his ongoing healing he wants to change his name — as a way of leaving his past behind him. He has the support of his family in this. What we are trying to figure out is how to explain to the court why he wants to change his name — is there a psychological term for this that we could use to explain it? *I should mention he is an adult now

Name Change as Emotional Healing

A.

You should check with a lawyer, but last I knew the courts don’t require an explanation. As long as a person isn’t doing it to commit a fraud or avoid identification for past criminal activity, the courts don’t care. But, as I said, do check with a lawyer in your state.

As for the psychological level: Many people find a name change a wonderful way to separate from a painful past. It reflects a change in identity to a healthier, happier self. I think it’s a great idea.

I wish you friend well.

Name Change as Emotional Healing