Home » Parenting » I Feel like Throwing Up in School

I Feel like Throwing Up in School

Every year when school starts I start feeling sick to my stomach. When I arrive at school my heart starts pounding faster and I get nauseous. Even when class starts I get scared and my anxiety gets worse. In almost every single class I feel like throwing up but I do my best to hold it back with sips of water and chewing gum. The only times I don’t feel like that is when I’m in a class with friends but that’s still not enough for the other times. (Age 16, from US)

I Feel like Throwing Up in School

A.

A: It sounds like you are struggling with anxiety which can create many physical symptoms, including nausea and increased heart rate. Many people experience anxiety about school, work or performance, so you are not alone. It’s important to learn to relax, take slow deep breaths and identify any negative thinking you may be having about school.

Since this issue seems to have been bothering you for a while, I’d suggest that you ask your parents to take you to a therapist who can teach you skills that will make school a more comfortable place to be. That way, you can focus on learning rather than dealing with what’s going on inside your body. Your school counselor would also be a good resource to speak with because he or she might know of a group or therapist who specializes in school related anxiety.I hope you feel better soon.

I Feel like Throwing Up in School