Home » Ask the Therapist » Voices Telling Me to Hurt People Close to Me, But Other Voices Telling Me to Harm Myself

Voices Telling Me to Hurt People Close to Me, But Other Voices Telling Me to Harm Myself

I am currently not sure of what is happening to me I constantly have thoughts of killing or severely injuring people close to me. However, another part of me is disgusted by these thoughts and wants me to kill myself to prevent any harm towards innocent people. This side of me is driving me to cut myself as a relief from those thoughts. I also fear that i might act upon these violent thoughts so i try to weaken myself and put myself in harm’s way to help others with complete disregard for my safety.

A.

I’m sorry that this is happening to you. You are in a challenging situation that requires professional help. You should not be attempting to deal with this problem on your own. It’s imperative that you seek the assistance of a mental health professional.

It is never right to hurt yourself or to hurt others. It is clear from your letter that you do not want to do that to another or to yourself. Even though you don’t want to hurt others or yourself, you are presently hurting yourself. You can stop it all by seeking professional help. Working on this by yourself has not been enough. Professionals can and will help.

Because you fear for your safety and for the safety of others, you should go to the emergency room. The staff at the emergency room can protect you from harming yourself and others. They will provide you with immediate mental health treatment. They can keep you safe. I hope that you will strongly consider my recommendation. Please take care.