Home » Ask the Therapist » I Turned Off My Emotions

I Turned Off My Emotions

From a 17-year-old female in France: Since about 4 years now I have the impression that something is wrong with me, psychologically. I have almost lost my ability to feel anything at all. I just turned off my emotions. I hardly feel any empathy. When I go outside I have a tunnel vision. It’s really hard to notice anything around me. I can fairly concentrate in class because my mind just shuts. I am tired all day but can’t sleep at night since last year. I am passive and slow but sometimes I get this hyperactive phase. I also have problems to articulate myself because my mouth just won’t follow my brain and I confuse letters and so on. I’m just confused — what is wrong with me? I feel like a zombie! I didn’t have a tragic past and I don’t have any problems with my family. I have friends, and I don’t get bullied. Please tell me what is wrong with me?

I Turned Off My Emotions

A.

The first thing you should do is get to a doctor for a complete check up. It always important to make sure there isn’t an undiagnosed physical problem at the root of your difficulties. Please keep a journal of everything you eat and when and how much you sleep each day to take with you to the appointment. Your doctor needs that information as part of the evaluation. I’m concerned, for example, that a sleep disorder is part of your problem. When people don’t get enough restorative sleep, it can affect memory, concentration, and thinking skills.

If you are getting enough sleep, you are eating right, and there is no physical basis for your symptoms, then it is time to seek out a mental health evaluation. But I’m betting there is a medical explanation. Please let me know what you find out.

I Turned Off My Emotions