Home » Ask the Therapist » Cutting and Pressured by Friend/Life

Cutting and Pressured by Friend/Life

My friend has been trying to tell my family that I cut. She cuts too and sees a therapist. She will not stop telling me to do something about it when I don’t want to tell anyone. I’m not the type of person to share feelings with my parents, and I never have been. It’s been about 5 months that I have cut myself and I often think about not eating because I think I’m fat. I have a very stress-filled life with my dad making my week filled with everything. Lessons, journalism, you name it. My friend has been diagnosed with depression, being bipolar, and some others. I hate it, she can get very angry if I don’t do something, I don’t want to, like skip class with her, or lie to my parents. She causes some of the stress that makes me want to cut. I don’t do it as often as I used to, but it’s been over 50 times in the last 3 months. I’m very stressed because I have a ton more homework now that I just started high school and I have mental breakdowns a lot more now. But the thing is, I will be normal at school and nobody knows except for the friends I have told, and I sill laugh and smile, but one little thing said to me can ruin my whole day and end up in a night of crying and cutting. I have become more moody lately and more negative, and nobody will let me forget it. I don’t want to seem like the kind of 14 year old who’s like “I’m sooooooo depressed omg, I cut myself because my mom wouldn’t get me an iPhone 6, fml” — hell no. I’m afraid to talk to anyone and probably won’t, and I just physically can’t say it, and my friend doesn’t seem to understand that.

Cutting and Pressured by Friend/Life

A.

I appreciate the fact that you are willing to talk to us here at Psych Central. I understand that you don’t want to talk to someone, and yet it seems like the pressures you are discussing the very real.

Let me refer to you our forums. It is a place where you can connect to others who struggle with similar issues, but they aren’t therapists. I think this kind of support may be helpful right now. Sometimes when we struggle and isolation it’s hard to believe that other people would understand. That’s why we created the forums.

Cutting and Pressured by Friend/Life