Home » Ask the Therapist » Dating A Married Man

Dating A Married Man

I am dating a married man and I want to end it but don’t know how
I have been seeing a married man for a month. I am falling for everything he says and does and know that in the end I will be the one to get hurt. I want to end it before I get more attached and I don’t know what to say or how to say it so that it is quick and to the point. I guess in a way I am hoping he would fight for me, but I know he will never leave his wife and kids so reality is I have to tell him goodbye and stick with it no matter what he says or does. Please help me.

Dating A Married Man

A.

I’m so glad you realize that you need to get out of this relationship. I don’t think that there’s any magic to it. But there are three things I would suggest that may help cushion the ending. First, plan significant time away. A week’s vacation, a retreat, something where you are distracted. Secondly, let him know you wish things were different, but since they are not you can’t let yourself fall down this rabbit hole. Then explain that you will no longer return his text or email. Follow this up by blocking them on your phone. Finally, surround yourself with good friends who can help you through this transition. They will help remind you that you are doing the right thing.

Dating A Married Man