Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Child Visitation

Child Visitation

From the U.S.: My husband and I are separated and he just bought a new home and is looking to start taking our 2.5 year old overnight 1 or 2x during the week. I am TOTALLY against during the week because of school, and I feel its disruptive to his routine, but I don’t have any substantial information that says I might be right? Thank you!

Child Visitation

A.

Unlike many non-custodial parents, your husband wants to remain an active parent in his child’s life and to do real parenting, not just visiting. It’s hard on you, I know. But imagine if the situation were reversed. I’m sure you would want regular time with your toddler.

Yes, the arrangement would disrupt your child’s present routine. But a different routine can be established. As long as your child still gets to school on time and is picked up on time, the new routine can be just as stabilizing. Children of divorce do learn that there is time at daddy’s house and time at mommy’s house.

Your child will benefit from having two involved, loving parents. As long as the two of you cooperate and normalize the situation, your little one can thrive.

I wish you well,

Child Visitation