Home » Ask the Therapist » Scared About the End of the Universe

Scared About the End of the Universe

About a week ago, I started to think about the end of the universe. It started to scare me to the point where now I get anxiety over everything. I start to get chest pains and I start crying because I just want it to go away. I don’t understand what is going on because in 2012 when they were saying that the world was going to end on Dec. 21, 2012 I was scared but then when it didn’t happen I was able to stop worrying about it and it never bothered me again. I don’t know if it is the end of the universe that is bothering me or if it is something underlying. What is going on with me?

Scared About the End of the Universe

A.

Many, many people have incorrectly predicted the end of the world. People have been making these predictions since the beginning of written history and they have all been wrong. The probability of the universe ending in our lifetime is extremely low. No scientist of note has suggested that the universe will end in our lifetimes. Your level of anxiety about a particular circumstance or phenomenon should match the likelihood of its occurrence. Therefore, your anxiety about the end of the universe should be extremely low.

Your fears about the end of the world may indicate an underlying anxiety disorder. Having chest pains and starting to cry may be indicative of an anxiety/panic attack. People can experience anxiety when they feel as though they lack control over their environment. This feeling of lacking control can cause high-levels of anxiety, particularly among people with anxiety disorders.

The best way to overcome phobias and anxiety is to believe in reality. Reality dictates that there is a very low probability of the universe ending any time soon. Your anxiety level should match that probability level.

Anxiety is highly treatable but if left untreated, it tends to get worse. I would recommend that you consult a mental health professional. Finally, you should also have a physical examination to rule out any medical problems. Please take care.

Scared About the End of the Universe