Home » Don’t Know What to Do

Don’t Know What to Do

I am struggling with daily life in a way that I am sure isn’t healthy. I don’t have any friends and the ones I do have, I don’t even like. They do drugs and skip school and just make terrible life decisions that I want no part of. But they are the only friends I have. I’m not very close to the little family that I have. My relationship with my dad is not even a relationship. The only person I feel close to is my mom but I don’t think she even likes me. She loves me and is a normal mom but she often tells me that I annoy her and we get into explosive fights on occasion. We always make up but there’s no real resolution so that doesn’t help. Whenever we get into fights I feel trapped and scream. She tells me that I blame other people for my problems and I know that she’s probably right but I don’t feel like I do and that confuses the hell out of me. And I hate fighting with her because without her, I have basically no one. I don’t know how to handle my anger or sadness. Or that I can’t take responsibility for myself. I don’t know if this is normal. And I don’t know what to do.

Don’t Know What to Do

A.

At 16 it is time for you to deliberately change the friends you have in your life. I would push yourself to connect with others in your high school. The easiest way to do this is to think of what you’re good at what you like to do, and find those who are like-minded. Here is the character strength test designed for people your age to give them an idea of their strengths — what they are good at — and how to start using them more often. Registration is free and it will allow you to take the VIA Youth Survey.

Don’t Know What to Do