Home » Major Seizure Event that Has Resulted in Further Problems

Major Seizure Event that Has Resulted in Further Problems

Last year on September 9th I had a major seizure episode from Late Onset Epilepsy. I was transported to a hospital, put into an induced coma for approximately 48 hours, then weaned off the medications and awoken. I subsequently spent 3 months in rehabilitation working on cognitive and physical ailments that were a result of the seizure. I worked with a therapist at my hospital at the time and now a year later have not been seeing anyone. I have been having issues since and am trying to figure out what it would be. My primary complaints are these.

I have had delusions of being watched, sometimes chased, rarely but they happen.

As a 26 year old man who lives with his girlfriend I have almost zero sex drive. I estimate we have had sex three times in the past year.

My social skills have dropped, I used to love talking to people, now I find myself avoiding social situations, rushing my girlfriend out of public places, and generally feeling awkward.

I have suicidal ideation, just passing thoughts of it, nothing serious, zero attempts, but it comes up a couple times a week.

I think those are my most serious noticeable symptoms. I was never at all like this before and I’m not sure if I’m still just getting over my event or if perhaps I should be going back to see a professional. Thank you for your time.

A.

These issues could be directly related to your seizure event. It was a significant medical event, the effects of which may still be lingering. You did not mention medications. Usually, medication would be prescribed to prevent future seizures. Are you presently taking medication? If so, the medication may be a contributing factor.

You should consult both your physician and your therapist. They would be in the best position to answer your specific questions. I’m sorry that I could not be of more assistance to you but given your fairly recent seizure, it’s important to rule out physical problems before considering any kind of psychological explanation. Please take care.