Home » Was I Given the Wrong Diagnosis?

Was I Given the Wrong Diagnosis?

My psychiatrist told me that I have Schizoaffective Disorder. My parents and I looked it up and they said I’ve had the symptoms of Schizophrenia since I was very small. I’m changing psychiatrists. I see the new one this week. Should I get her opinion? I’m struggling with hallucinations. I hear voices and sometimes see those people. I have Joe, his twin brother Eric, his daughter Ava and his cat Spud. Joe keeps a tab on everything I do and say he controls me. He steals my thoughts. I also have someone in my room who is trying to hurt me. Other people look in my window also people follow me everywhere. They are trying to hurt me. I don’t go outside for this same reason. Please answer me. Thanks

Was I Given the Wrong Diagnosis?

A.

It’s good that you are seeking professional psychological help. To answer your question directly, you should seek the opinion of a psychiatrist about your diagnosis. Your last psychiatrist diagnosed you with schizoaffective disorder. Schizoaffective disorder is like having both bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. It might have been an accurate diagnosis but getting a second opinion is always a wise idea.

When you meet with your new psychiatrist, let her know about your last diagnosis and ask if she agrees with it. Some people believe that a diagnosis is less important than is finding the right treatment.

Your ultimate goal should be working with a mental health professional with whom you feel comfortable and that you feel is competent. Hopefully, you can achieve your goals with your new psychiatrist. Accept nothing less. Please take care.

Was I Given the Wrong Diagnosis?