Home » Ask the Therapist » My Boyfriend May Be Lying to Me

My Boyfriend May Be Lying to Me

My boyfriend of almost a year. (My first serious relationship) I’ve had some suspicions that he has been lying too me about things. Not huge things but a lie is a lie. So one day we were talking and I told him I knew he was lying about something and he got super defensive and started acting nervous and asked me if I was lying about something (which I do have a bit of a history lying to him about things but I don’t anymore) and then he started to get super emotional and started to shake and have a panic attack so I kind of backed off on him, and then his phone started ringing and it was his mom so I went to his room to get his phone and came back and he had pretty much completely stopped shaking, and then I said I’m sorry for accusing you of lying I shouldn’t have, and then we hugged and he made me some food but the whole time he felt sick and he was gagging really hard and said he felt like he was going to throw up. However, we just went on like it was a normal day and he got better. I know how good of a liar he is because he lies to his parents a lot, and my parents, which don’t like him and they have told me that themselves, but sometimes I feel like he is just being a really good actor or liar. However, he does all these nice things for me and treats me so special and loves me and I don’t want to accuse him of lying when he really isn’t and ruin our relationship… I just am so torn and I don’t know how to handle this.

My Boyfriend May Be Lying to Me

A.

Thank you for sending this to us. The chances are extremely good that you’re right about his lying. His overreaction seems to validate your concern.

In a first relationship, both people are testing the limits of their commitment to each other. I would keep calling him on his lying and if he can’t mature — choose someone who is more authentic.

My Boyfriend May Be Lying to Me