Home » Why Am I Never Content?

Why Am I Never Content?

I started dating my husband when I was 15, I am 27 now. We have been married and living together for 2 years now, and I should be happy… Right? I mean, I have all the things a woman my age should want… but I am still not happy. A lot of issues from my childhood have resurfaced over this past year (I was molested by my father, and it is finally out in the open), and I am under a lot of stress. I quit my job, met a man online (had an emotional affair), and I feel like I don’t fit into my own life anymore. I feel like I am going insane, like something has got to give. I think I need to leave here.

Why Am I Never Content?

A.

The fact that your father molested you and this has recently come to life is underneath all the turmoil. Everything that you have said about quitting your job and an emotional affair and searching for yourself is understandable coming from your new realizations about your father.

Often during this time people want to make wholesale changes as part of trying to reclaim their identity. But these changes are usually very short and often unsatisfying. Before you end your married life and cut ties with someone who’s known you for a while, and may have been chosen because he was unlike your father, I would have a recommend going into individual therapy to deal specifically with your father’s molestation. Then you can make changes. You may want to ultimately want to leave your marriage or find different types of employment, but just doing these things all at once tends to add to the stress-not relieve it.

Why Am I Never Content?