Home » Personality » I Think I May Have a Personality Disorder

I Think I May Have a Personality Disorder

From the U.S.: When I was in the military, I was discharged due to a personality disorder. Not long afterwards I went to a psychiatrist to get retested for many things and he said under no circumstances did I have one, instead he diagnosed me with dysthymia (I probably messed up the spelling.)

This was around 12 years ago. Since then I got a career, grew up, got married and divorced. Life happened. Today I took a look at the past 20 years of my life and was not happy with the way it turned out. The constant is myself.

I am charming when I want to be, but don’t really care about social interactions. I can be perfectly content not being around anyone for weeks or months at a time. I tend to use people for my benefit and while I occasionally feel guilty, I keep doing it. I know I need to do things like pay my taxes, or pay bills but I don’t, and recently I found out most of my coworkers don’t like me because I am bossy and arrogant. Now I haven’t been to therapy in over 10 years and hate taking medicine (I don’t drink or even take aspirin.) Is there something wrong with me?

A.

I don’t have enough information to know if you have a personality disorder. It’s possible. It’s also possible that you have unresolved issues around authority, for example. The best way to find out would be to consult with a mental health professional. You haven’t seen a therapist since you were in your early 20s. As you said, “life happens.” Chances are you, like most people, have changed in some important ways since then. I therefore think it would be useful to have a discussion with a therapist about your concerns. Since you don’t like medicine, I suggest you start with a professional who is not a medical doctor, like a psychologist or social worker, as your first stop.