Home » Laughing Turns into Hysterical Sobbing

Laughing Turns into Hysterical Sobbing

Recently whenever I’m laughing hard I’ll start sobbing hysterically after a few minutes. I’ll be watching a funny video or on a site and if I’ve been laughing for a while I’ll suddenly just start sobbing. I don’t really cry a lot but when this happens I’ll sob for five to ten minutes straight and get extremely sad and depressed even tough I was happy just a second before. The feeling of sadness will last for several hours after the crying has stopped and it will start again if I laugh in the next hour or so. It only happens when I’ve been laughing for an extended period of time. I’ve never experienced anything like these episodes, when it happens it’s like something breaks in me. I’ve actually had chronic depression for about 9 years and it’s been getting better in the passed two years but it’s still persistent. I’ve also had issues related to chronic stress for about 7 years including memory loss, involuntary eye movements, chronic sleep deprivation, and panic attacks. Over the passed 2 years these have greatly improved though I still have issues with bouts of stress. I’m wondering if the sudden crying is related to any of these even though it’s only started happening in the passed two months or if it’s an unrelated issue. I’m in college and so far this has only happened in private but I’m worried that it might become more frequent and happen during school.

Laughing Turns into Hysterical Sobbing

A.

Thank you for sending in this important question. I think your intuition is right on. My guess is that you will be able to sort this through with your therapist and/or physician. As a junior in college your stress level may be increasing and the demands on you may be part of why this is happening.

If you don’t have regular physician I would highly recommend going to the university counseling center. They can arrange for a meeting with the psychiatrist who could help determine what maybe going on.

Laughing Turns into Hysterical Sobbing