Home » Former Abuser Re-entering My Life

Former Abuser Re-entering My Life

My brother who is now 19 almost 20, used to hit me (along with violently push me, slap me, tackle me, put me down, humiliate me, make fun of me infront of my friends, include himself if i have a friend over etc.) for years as far back as i can remember, Is moving back to Canada and staying with my parents, my sister and me in a month or so. I’m so afraid of what will happen, how should I deal with and approach this? (age 16, from Canada)

Former Abuser Re-entering My Life

A.

A: First of all, I’m sorry that your brother was so mean to you while growing up. As common as this can be, it is still wrong and can leave lasting scars. I’m also sorry that your parents didn’t do more to protect you, but hopefully they will this time around. I would let them know how scared you are now, before he even moves back. You might even consider showing them your letter and my response. Sibling abuse is real. Here is a link you might find helpful: http://sasian.org/.

You did not mention how long he has been out of the home, but I can only assume that you have both grown up some since the abuse occurred. You will be better able to defend yourself if need be and to avoid being near him if he starts his old behaviors. But, hopefully he will have matured enough that he won’t treat you the same way as he did in the past. If he does, first, tell your parents immediately, and secondly call the police if he physically harms you.  You have a right to feel safe in your own home.

Former Abuser Re-entering My Life