Home » Ask the Therapist » I Feel as if I’m Being Watched

I Feel as if I’m Being Watched

Please Help Me? I will start by saying… I have a crystal meth habit. I know it’s a major factor in my mental state, but I truly believe it goes further than that. I don’t know who else to turn to, please hear me out. For the last two weeks there has been a feeling of discomfort when I lay in bed. I hear voices coming from my neighbor, taunts. Daring me to come outside and other vulgarities. Repeating the words, “I still see you” to no end. I have come to terms with these taunts, but now it seems he shines a light in my windows looking for an opening to gaze through. I sit silently in the corner of my room. Pitch black. Watching waves of light pass over my windows. Any movement draws attention and the light stops. I stay quiet and he moves on to the other windows and this continues until daylight. I test the reality of this situation by purposely alerting him, and I get the same reactions. I’m living in constant fear and paranoia I can’t stay home alone I avoid driving into town because it seems I’m being followed. I believe there’s a difference between knowing something is real and what’s in my mind. I just want to know if I’m being irrational I guess. Will provide more details if needed. If this isn’t qualified as a question. I ask that you reach out to me somehow. Your concern and advice is appreciated. Please help. I’m beyond desperate. Thank you.

I Feel as if I’m Being Watched

A.

You did the right thing by asking for help. By doing so, you significantly increase the probability of remedying this issue and hopefully getting treatment for your drug problem.

As you anticipated, your use of crystal meth makes it difficult to determine if your experiences are real or not. It increases the possibility that these experiences are side effects of the drugs, but we can’t rule out the possibility that these experiences are real.

You are not asking an irrational question, but it can’t be answered by me over the Internet. You need an objective, third-party who can assist you in making this determination. It might be the only way to know with certainty what is real and what is not.

My recommendation is that you consult a mental health professional and describe your symptoms. They, of course, will be concerned about your use of crystal meth and understandably might attribute these experiences to your drug use, however they can help you know if your paranoia is warranted. Choose a mental health professional who has experience with substance abuse treatment. He or she would be in the best position to help you.

I applaud your courage for asking this question and admitting your use of crystal meth, but your ultimate goal should be to stop using drugs. Your continued use of crystal meth can and very likely will destroy your life. There is help for you if you’re willing to seek it. I hope that you will. Please take care.

I Feel as if I’m Being Watched