Home » OCD » I Fear Losing a Really Close Friend

I Fear Losing a Really Close Friend

From Malyasia: I have a friend whom I have grown really fond of and he is more like a brother to me than a friend. My problem is that, I have this fear of losing him because I don’t have a brother of my own and I’ve always wanted one. Besides, I’ve waited for years to have someone this close to me. So, now I feel this rage in me whenever I feel as though someone is trying to take him away. Even if that person is a friend of mine. What should I do to control my anger and how do i manage myself ?

I Fear Losing a Really Close Friend

A.

It’s wonderful to have a close friend. But, as you already know, if you hang on too tight, you will crush the friendship. I think the best thing you can do is make a couple more friends so you are not so dependent on this one friendship. Yes, I understand that has been difficult for you in the past. But now that you have made a good friend, you have a better understanding about how to be close to people. Make a genuine effort to put yourself in places where you will meet more people your age who share your interests. Be open to different levels of friendship. Sometimes include your good friend. Sometimes give that relationship a break by doing things with other people. This will make your friendship more easy-going and will help it last.

I Fear Losing a Really Close Friend