Home » Bipolar Disorder » Might I Have Bipolar Disorder?

Might I Have Bipolar Disorder?

I wonder if I might have ultradian cycling bipolar disorder. I am 23 now. When I was a sophomore in high school I had a depressive episode. When I am was a sophomore in college I had a Zoloft induced manic episode where I became so impulsive and irritable that I was a threat to myself. However lately, say for the past year, my mood swings enormously in a single 24 hour period. I often go from suicidal(ex:no one loves me, I cannot go on living it is too painful, melancholy despair) to euphoric/very happy (ex:life is wonderful, I am extremely grateful, joy and bliss) in a single day. I also frequently have racing thought and sometimes trouble sleeping due to them. What should I do?

Might I Have Bipolar Disorder?

A.

A: What you need to do is talk to your psychiatrist about the changes in your symptoms, and if you don’t have a psychiatrist, you need to find one. You may have read that ultradian cycling Bipolar Disorder is basically very rapid cycling. The traditional definition of rapid cycling is having more than 4 episodes per year. People who have more than 4 episodes a month are considered ultra-rapid cyclers and those who switch within a day, more than 4 days per week are termed ultra-ultra rapid or ultradian cyclers.

Rapid Cycling Bipolar can sometimes be harder to treat in terms of medications and dosages, so it is very important to work closely with a specialist and to follow treatment suggestions, giving frequent feedback to your doctor. If you don’t already have a psychiatrist, I would suggest that you speak with your family doctor or the university counseling center and have them give you some referrals. Also, therapy can help you identify symptoms and triggers, as well as teach you coping skills and self-care techniques. It is also possible that after consulting with a therapist and psychiatrist, that you will not be diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Either way, you need to get to the bottom of what is causing your symptoms. I hope that you get some relief soon.

Might I Have Bipolar Disorder?