Home » Parenting » After 10 Months Boyfriend Won’t Spend Time with My Kids

After 10 Months Boyfriend Won’t Spend Time with My Kids

I met my boyfriend about a year ago. He was coming out of a bad 6 month relationship. To start I need to say, from what he has told me, he has been scared from almost every relationship. Even his parents. When I met him he was down and out. No job. (Has one now) With no hope. He has ADHD since he was a kid and hasn’t been on meds for a couple years. He’s stuck in his old ways and stuck in the past. He has a 14 year old son, good kid and I’ve spent time with him numerous times. Problem is, when I invite my BF for dinner with me and my kids he says no because in his past kids get attached and things don’t work out. The kids get hurt. My girls are 15 and 13. They have met him a few times in passing that’s it. He says he has his own selfish reasons why he won’t. This is a constant argument. I say put the past in the past and move forward.

A.

I wouldn’t push him. You will win the battle and lose the war. Let him know you understand his concern — and look forward to the day he feels he can spend some time with your girls. I would let it happen more organically, perhaps meeting briefly from time to time — perhaps even out of the house. It is important to honor your boyfriend’s past, while letting him know you are hoping he can transcend it.