Home » I Keep Dreaming about My Therapist

I Keep Dreaming about My Therapist

From U.K.: I don’t seem to be able to stop dreaming about my therapist. I am having a bit of a tough time at the moment and she is away but every night for the last 4 nights I am having dreams with her in them. The dreams are not sexual but usually odd and when she is there I feel comforted by her presence but then when I realise what is happening I feel so wrong, like I have betrayed her trust or overstepped a boundary or just like I have done a bad thing but it just keeps happening. Part of me doesn’t want to be comforted by the thought of her because she isn’t always going to be there, what use is there in relying on someone else to feel better, but it just keeps happening and then I cant get back to sleep and I feel unsettled and sleep deprived. Why is this happening, does it mean something?

I Keep Dreaming about My Therapist

A.

Please don’t make too much of this. It is absolutely normal. As you say, you are going through a tough time right now and the therapist who has been helpful is away at the moment. A famous therapist named Milton Erickson is said to have said, “My voice will go with you.” That’s true. When someone has been helpful, sometimes we keep their “voice” and our memories of them in our thoughts as a way to help ourselves feel better and keep on track. Dreams are sometimes a way that people hold on to memories.

You are right that your therapist won’t always be physically available to you. But the memory of your positive work together will be. Embrace that. Savor it. Let it give you comfort.

I Keep Dreaming about My Therapist