Home » Ask the Therapist » How Can I Help My Girlfriend Who Cuts, Hears Voices & Thinks She’s Fat?

How Can I Help My Girlfriend Who Cuts, Hears Voices & Thinks She’s Fat?

Sorry for my English, It’s not my first language.

I’m 18, my girlfriend is 16. We love each other more than I ever loved anyone else and she confessed me these things 2 weeks ago.

I’m getting really worried though. She had bullying problem and even though now she’s skinny, perfect, and simply beautiful, she stills see herself as fat. She barely eats. She cuts and she hears voice before she goes to sleep.

I thought about a bipolar disorder, but she DOESN’T SEEM to be moody and I read bipolar persons don’t hear voices.

What kind of problem/disorder do you think she has? She doesn’t want to take medicine or go to a psychologist.

A.

You’re right to be concerned about your girlfriend. Cutting and not eating are dangerous. When she says she hears a voice, she could be referring to her conscience, but it could also be an external voice. I would need more information to know which one it might be.

The only sound way to know if she has a disorder would be for her to be evaluated by a mental health professional. Given her symptoms, it’s imperative that she be evaluated as soon as possible.

She doesn’t want to see a mental health professional and this is part of the problem. Encourage her to go to treatment. She might be frightened and that’s normal but she has nothing to fear. Mental health professionals will know how to help her.

If she continues to engage in dangerous behaviors and is unwilling to seek help, then you should alert her parents. Understandably, you don’t want to break her trust however she’s putting herself in danger. While cutting, she could accidentally hurt herself more than she intended. Not eating is starving her body of the nutrients it needs to function properly. Her lack of eating is compromising her health and perhaps her ability to think clearly. If she is unwilling to help herself, then her loved ones must step in and assist her in acquiring the necessary treatment.

The best way you can help your girlfriend is to encourage her to consult a mental health professional and if she refuses, tell her parents about what you know. Don’t keep this a secret. Please take care.