Home » Depression » Work Environment Causing Depression

Work Environment Causing Depression

I need help with possible depression in my work environment. At this stage I’m stagnated in my position. I’ve been in the IT industry for over 9 years and recently realized that the IT sector is not for me. I’m at a stage where I often feel like just closing my eyes on my way to work and hit a tree or something. I’m married with a beautiful daughter, and at home there aren’t any problems. Its just my line of work and the company I’m working for that’s getting to me. I’ve tried to look for other work for over 2 years, but being in IT, in South-Africa is extremely difficult and you cannot find work that easily. Please help…I cannot do it anymore. (age 32, from South Africa)

Work Environment Causing Depression

A.

A: If you can’t do it anymore, then don’t. Not enjoying your job is certainly not worth ending your life when everything else is going well. Most people these days spend more time at work than they do almost any other activity, so job satisfaction can dramatically affect our overall wellbeing. Thus, I always advocate for people to make the changes necessary to enjoy their career.

To get huge rewards, we sometimes need to take huge risks. If you can’t find a job you would enjoy locally, it might require moving your family to another city, or even another country. It might mean going back to school to get training in a new field altogether. Sometimes it can just mean taking a different position in the same company that is a better fit for you (regardless of pay).

I would suggest meeting with a trained career counselor who can guide you in making the necessary changes you need to make to put you back on the road of happiness and success. Many times, just developing an action plan toward your goal can improve your patience with your current situation. You can suddenly see the light at the end of the tunnel.

In the meantime, it is crucial to make the most of your nonworking hours. Having a good social support system, personal hobbies, an exercise routine and other forms of outlets can make a difficult situation much more tolerable. I wish you all the best and hope that your situation improves soon.

Work Environment Causing Depression