Home » What Mental Illness Do I Have?

What Mental Illness Do I Have?

I hear voices in my head telling me bad things like to kill people and to kill myself. The thing is the voices I hear are in my head not like people talking to me. It is like they are thoughts that are not mine. I’m getting treated for schizophrenia right now but does hearing voices in my head have anything to do with schizophrenia?

What Mental Illness Do I Have?

A.

Hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia. You said that you are currently in treatment for schizophrenia but are continuing to hear voices. It’s important that you inform your treatment providers about the voices, immediately. Your feedback can assist them in knowing how to modify your treatment regimen.

Medication is particularly helpful in decreasing or eliminating voices among people with schizophrenia. Sometimes, when people continue to experience symptoms it means that their medications or other types of treatments need to be altered. That may be the case with you.

It’s good that you’re in treatment but be sure to report all new developments to your treating mental health professionals. The more information and feedback you provide, the more effectively they can treat your symptoms. If you feel as though you might harm yourself or someone else, don’t hesitate to go to the hospital or to call 911. They can keep you safe. Please take care.

What Mental Illness Do I Have?