Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Suffering from Aversions

I’m Suffering from Aversions

From the U.S.: I’ve been squeamish about body fluids since I was a kid but every year it gets worse. It’s to the point now where it’s taken over my life. I can’t eat around people, have sex, or any other normal activity. I’m having a lot of anxiety because I’m afraid someone will blow their nose or start sweating. I have BPD so I have a lot of anxieties but this one I have no idea how to control.

I’m Suffering from Aversions

A.

What you are describing is a phobia. It has now become serious enough that it is interfering with normal functioning. Since you have a diagnosis of BPD, I’m assuming you have a therapist. I hope you are being totally honest with him or her about your aversions. Phobias can be managed. People can be desensitized to things they find so troubling. But your therapist can only help you if you tell her or him what is going on.

You don’t need to go it alone. Let your therapist give you the help you need.

I’m Suffering from Aversions