Home » Disorders » Schizophrenia » Severe Paranoid Episode that Does Not Go Away

Severe Paranoid Episode that Does Not Go Away

My wife is 35 and 6 months pregnant. She was admitted to a mental facility earlier this week because of a very severe episode of paranoia. The television was even talking to her and giving her clues about what was “going on.” The doctor at the facility told me that my wife may never “snap out” of this episode. How likely is that?

A.

This is a difficult question to answer because I don’t have specific knowledge about your wife’s case. Paranoia and related symptoms are indicative of psychosis. Generally speaking, psychosis is a treatable condition. It is caused by a number of factors including drug and alcohol abuse, severe trauma and stress, and medical problems such as dementia and other organic brain disorders. The most common treatment for psychosis is medication. Sometimes, a variety of medications are used to help an individual return to a normal level of functioning. Typically, once the right medicine is found, recovery is possible.

The fact that your wife is undergoing treatment is good news. It significantly increases the likelihood that she will recover. If you’re not satisfied with her care, don’t hesitate to seek a second or even a third opinion.

Going forward, it will be important that she adhere to her prescribed treatment. It can protect her from future psychotic episodes. It will be especially important that she adhere to her treatment regimen immediately following her giving birth. That is a stressful time for most new mothers, but especially for someone who has recently experienced psychosis. Be supportive and do everything in your power to ensure that she receives the best possible care. Please take care.