Home » I Can’t Concentrate on My Studies

I Can’t Concentrate on My Studies

From India: I am in 12th grade and I understand studying efficiently is very important right now, but for some reasons I am not able to. Whenever I sit down, I start thinking about other less important and frivolous things which has nothing to do with my work and I don’t understand why this happens. I am really upset with my behavior because I really want to score well. I feel so helpless about the situation!! Please I really need proper guidance or less I will fail to do well. I will be highly obliged if you could help me with my situation because I really want to improve and get good grades. Please I need some serious help!!! I will be very thankful!

I Can’t Concentrate on My Studies

A.

The problem isn’t that you don’t care enough about your studies. I think the problem is that you care too much. You are so worried about not doing well that you are avoiding making an effort. If you don’t try, you won’t fail. That helps you spare your self-esteem for a short while but will have very negative consequences for your future. Unfortunately, you are creating the very outcome you fear.

I hope you can accept that it is enough to do the very best you can. You may not be perfect. You may not get the highest score even if you put in a lot of effort. But not everyone can be a genius. Not everyone gets to be at the top of the class. It’s ok to do well enough just to get to the next step.

One of my teachers used to talk about having the courage to be imperfect. He said that it is only when we allow ourselves to be human and perhaps make some mistakes that we are freed to do our best.

I hope you will give yourself permission to make your best effort. That’s really all any of us can do.

I Can’t Concentrate on My Studies