Home » Boyfriend Is an Alcoholic

Boyfriend Is an Alcoholic

This man’s entire house is 2500 sq.ft. with a bed and boxspring only in his room with a motley assortment of desks and dressers, ALL the furniture except the couch are castoffs from his parents, he keeps his childhood things in the basement, uses utensils that are all artsy with weird curved handles rendering them practically useless (given to him by sister). He is thinks he is better than everyone (especially me), has no friends, drinks every night after work and sometimes starts before 9am on weekends so we don’t go anywhere, but he will drop everything when dear Mom calls and asks for him to drive an hour for a visit. She calls him he dear sweet boy and send a God-awful computer generated card that was clearly meant for a 4 year old, not a 44 year old!! QUESTION: How can I disengage from him without incurring his selfish LOOK AT ME TALK TO ME!! nonsense. I am trying to move and we are essentially roommates now. I am also interested in your take as to what his problem is. He is a mechanic, quite illiterate and has atrocious handwriting and spelling. I think he may be semi-retarded to be honest. Advice and insight?

Boyfriend Is an Alcoholic

A.

The question really seems to be: Why you are still there? This man does not sound very loving, appears to have a drinking problem, and seems emotionally immature. I wouldn’t invest a lot of time and finessing the ending. It seems clear from your email that you’ve had it.

While it’s not possible to render a diagnosis for your boyfriend your own intuition tells you that he doesn’t have your best interests on the top of his list. Isn’t this enough to move on?

Boyfriend Is an Alcoholic