Home » I Have Anger, Headaches and Excessive Crying

I Have Anger, Headaches and Excessive Crying

From Denmark: I’m 14. 4-5 months ago I started getting irregular and random headaches, and recently I have been getting mood swings. I get raging angry over normal things, and get the urge to break/smash/bite things. I also start crying when I’m not upset. I’ve searched online and loads of different things come up, like stress, child depression, overactive thyroid, and bipolar rage. I don’t know what it is, and if it’s normal, what do you think? What is it? And will it go away on it’s own?

A.

At 14, what you are reporting is often perfectly, annoyingly normal. Your body is going through enormous changes. Some girls are more reactive to the internal hormonal changes of adolescence than others and experience this kind of emotional dysregulation.

Please make an appointment to see your doctor. Talk over your experience in detail. Make sure that there isn’t an underlying medical problem making things worse. If so, your doctor will recommend treatment. You and your doctor may also decide that it would be helpful for you to see a counselor to learn some new ways to manage your feelings while your body learns to settle down.