Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m in Love with a Boy I Haven’t Met

I’m in Love with a Boy I Haven’t Met

From the U.S.: Hi. I’m a 14 year old girl. I feel as if im in love with a person I havent met yet. I feel like I know him so well. The feeling I get when I think about who ever he is I feel like I’m in love. I don’t think it matters how I think he is, like a description of his character. What’s up with me?

I’m in Love with a Boy I Haven’t Met

A.

What’s up is that you are day dreaming. It’s absolutely normal for young teens to think about what it would be like to love and be loved. It’s a kind of rehearsal for the experiences and feelings that are to come. You are trying on feelings in the safest way possible — privately and without involving someone else. At some point, you will meet some special person who will be worthy of those feelings. Having done some rehearsing, you will be better prepared to handle what can be powerful emotions.

I’m in Love with a Boy I Haven’t Met