Home » Length of Therapy Concern

Length of Therapy Concern

I’ve been reading a lot about therapy not needing to last very long. I just started seeing someone and I’m terrified of letting myself trust her. I’m afraid she will tell me we are done with therapy before I’m ready.

Length of Therapy Concern

A.

A: Thanks for writing in with your question. The first thing that I suggest you do is speak to your therapist about your concerns. They are valid and you have every right to ask her about her philosophies regarding length of treatment, style of treatment, and her projected course of treatment based on what she knows about you so far.

Evidenced based therapy (EBT) is the current trend in the mental health literature, which often times is problem focused, short-term treatment. However, there are still lots of ways of doing therapy and lots of theoretical orientations. Therapists trained in psychodynamic or psychoanalytical orientations tend to have longer therapeutic durations. Other times, it is the diagnosis that determines treatment length. Someone with complex trauma or biologically based disorders (such as Schizophrenia or Bipolar Disorder) may be in and out of treatment the majority of their life.

Don’t let your fear get in the way of you getting what you need out of therapy. The best way to get rid of fear is to face it directly.

Length of Therapy Concern