Home » Ask the Therapist » Parenting » Did My Fathers Absence Affect My Development?

Did My Fathers Absence Affect My Development?

My parents split up when I was ten years old. They got divorced legally when I was fifteen years old. From the ages of ten to fifteen I lived with my mother and I only briefly saw my father three times that I can remember.

What kind of an effect does this have on a child’s development?

A.

I don’t believe there is a one-size-fits-all answer for your question. But what I can say is that often that kind of distancing by one parent has some effect. But the range of possibilities can be anywhere from the child developing greater autonomy because he or she knows there is no support –to a sense of being abandoned.

The best way to move forward with this is to engage in individual therapy for brief period of time to talk about those developmental years. In this way, you can determine what effect your father’s absence may have had.