Home » Can’t Fall Asleep with Anyone But My Ex

Can’t Fall Asleep with Anyone But My Ex

I have difficulties falling asleep when in bed with someone else. It has occurred with a handful of different men in different beds. I will either sleep for one or two hours or not at all. This has happened consistently for over four years all for the exception of my ex-boyfriend. I would be able to sleep with him no problem and in various beds. What allows me to sleep with him but no one else?

Can’t Fall Asleep with Anyone But My Ex

A.

Thank you for sending your question to PsychCentral. My guess is that being in bed with this new man brings back the anxiety, struggles, and unfinished business with your ex-boyfriend. I think the struggle to move on gets triggered by the intimacy.

I would highly recommend some short-term therapy, perhaps with a cognitive behavioral therapist, to help explore any leftover feelings with your ex-boyfriend. The find help tab at the top of the page will help you find someone in your area.

Can’t Fall Asleep with Anyone But My Ex