Home » Ask the Therapist » Suppression of Emotions Concerning My In-Laws

Suppression of Emotions Concerning My In-Laws

Asked by on with 1 answer:

I think my emotions are suppressed and its taking a toll on me and my relationship with my spouse. I can never say what I intend to say as the people around me do not accommodate that as I live with my in-laws. My privacy and my space is intruded at times. My anger is building up and my tolerance level has gone down. I am sending nasty msges to my husband for his unbelievably irritating family and we are having arguments. I live with threats from my husband that if I tell of his people, then I have to leave his house. By the way, I have my own place but we don’t live there because my husband is overly “filial” and his parents want him to live with them. Can you help me? My emotions is being suppressed and i feel lost and depressed. I feel suffocated overall.

Suppression of Emotions Concerning My In-Laws

Answered by on -


From what you’ve written, it seems you are very unhappy with your living arrangements. When you complain about your in-laws, your husband threatens to make you leave their home. Your letter did not specify this, but it seems as though your husband is unwilling to leave his parents despite your unhappiness. Thus your predicament.

As I see it, you have two options: find a way to live peacefully with your in-laws or move out.

Continuing to live with your in-laws certainly is not an ideal situation but it may be necessary to stay in your marriage. You don’t have to suppress your emotions, but you might have to suppress your complaints. Complaining would only make the situation worse.

Only you know how much of this situation you can tolerate. If you are no longer willing to accept this living arrangement, then you might need to move out.

Living with your in-laws, rarely works. Sometimes, depending on the country you live in, it is customary. But customs are not necessarily right. Living with your in-laws has already caused problems between you and your husband. He needs to worry about the damage that is occurring to your marriage.

Finally, you should consider marriage counseling. With the help of an objective third-party, you and your husband might be able to develop a satisfactory living arrangement. Please take care.

Dr. Kristina Randle

Suppression of Emotions Concerning My In-Laws

Therapists live, online right now, from BetterHelp:

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW

Kristina Randle, Ph.D., LCSW is a licensed psychotherapist and Assistant Professor of Social Work and Forensics with extensive experience in the field of mental health. She works in private practice with adults, adolescents and families. Kristina has worked in a large array of settings including community mental health, college counseling and university research centers.

APA Reference
Randle, K. (2018). Suppression of Emotions Concerning My In-Laws. Psych Central. Retrieved on November 30, 2020, from
Scientifically Reviewed
Last updated: 8 May 2018 (Originally: 31 Jul 2014)
Last reviewed: By a member of our scientific advisory board on 8 May 2018
Published on Psych All rights reserved.