Home » Ask the Therapist » Jealousy and Trust Issues with My Girlfriend

Jealousy and Trust Issues with My Girlfriend

My girlfriend has given me no reason not to trust her but I can’t help but get anxious when she goes out or if I see her on a picture with another guy it really hurts me and makes me angry which then leads into us having an argument. She wants me to change and I have said I will but it’s really hard as it’s just natural for me to be protective and feel that way please help it’s destroying our relationship

A.

You are caught in what is known as a thinking trap. The way through this is to challenge your thoughts as they come up. As you said there’s nothing in her behavior that would suggest you need to be jealous, but only your thinking makes it so. I highly recommend the book the Resilience Factor to get you started. If that doesn’t give you the results you want then I would look for someone who does cognitive-behavior therapy to help.