Home » Ask the Therapist » I’m Always Tired

I’m Always Tired

From the U.S.: Hi, I’m 13 and I usually get 9-12 hours of sleep and I read that’s recommended but I’m still feeling tired all day. I usually take naps at around 4 or 5 so I end up going to sleep at sun rise. I was wondering why I can only fall asleep at sun rise and why even though I get 9-12 hours of sleep, I’m still tired all day. I also suffer from depression, social anxiety and pretty much anxiety in general if that helps you figure out what’s going on. Thank you for your help!

I’m Always Tired

A.

You are always tired because your sleep cycle has been seriously disrupted. The number of hours you sleep is only part of the picture. People need to go through 4 to 6 complete 1 1/2 hour cycles of the stages of sleep in order to get the restorative sleep their body needs. Stop the naps. Make yourself stay awake. Shut off all computer and TV and phone screens by 8:00 p.m. Do something that is, for you, very relaxing. Get ready for bed and be in bed by 9:00. Do something calming to help yourself go to sleep. Maybe play music that is soothing. Maybe do some progressive relaxation. Even if you don’t fall asleep the first night, discipline yourself to be in bed from 9 p.m. to 6 or 7 a.m.

If you are too anxious to sleep, then you should probably see a mental health professional to get some more practical suggestions and support for managing the anxiety and for fixing the sleep disorder. This will take time! It took awhile to get your sleep so disrupted, so it will take a few weeks to undo it. Please be patient. You are at a stage of life where your body is growing and changing. It needs restorative sleep to be healthy.

I’m Always Tired