Home » Ask the Therapist » Should I Communicate with My Girlfriend’s Therapist?

Should I Communicate with My Girlfriend’s Therapist?

My loved one is 30 days into 45 day inpatient alcohol therapy, doing well. Diagnosed mild/moderate. I have visited onsite once and we have communicated 3-4 times via phone. I understand her education of addiction, stress mgmt, coping skills, etc. during recovery. However, an event has occurred with her ex-husband/child’s father that is unknown to her and will greatly affect dynamics upon return home. He is moving closer. I respect and do not want to upset recovery efforts. How important is it to communicate this change to her or first to her therapist?

A.

You are going to be an important support to your girlfriend when she comes home. If you think this will upset her, the time to deal with it is when she is in-patient. It will likely affect your girlfriend’s success on discharge. I encourage you to ask your girlfriend to sign a release so you and the therapist can talk freely. Better yet, ask if you can join one or more of your girlfriend’s therapy sessions to talk together about the potential problems with her ex moving close by and how the two of you can support her sobriety in spite of it.