My son was recently given a disciplinary note from his teach because he distracts other kids in class he lacks focus and concentration and he does not complete tasks. His teacher stated that he does not follow any instructions given to him and he does not comply with authority and i have experienced the same things. He is 8 years old in Grade 1 and i am so scared because all signs point to ADD and i even took the questionaire and it scored 47%. I don’t know what to do or where to go for help as i am a single working mom and i don’t have a huge income for expensive therapists etc, and ADD/ADHD is not something openly spoken about around here because people here believe that children will be children but that for me is not good enough.

I need help as to how I get started helping my son in this and who do I go to?

Please help.

A: I understand that ADHD/ADD is not viewed in your country the way it is in the United States. But information on treatment is still available. First you may want to look at or forums on ADHD here on PsychCentral, read some information online, and perhaps read through this book, which helps to identify possible treatments. You may have to be resourceful in getting the information and applying the possible remedies.

Then I would talk to your child’s physician about what treatments might be available with medicine. The physician would know what medicines are avaialable to help.

Wishing you patience and peace,
Dr. Dan
Proof Positive Blog @ PsychCentral